Remember: The decision to enter — or not enter — a breast cancer clinical trial is completely up to you.
These are some of the questions you may want to ask — and that you should know the answer to — before you decide to enroll in a breast cancer trial:
The Breast Cancer Clinical Trial
- What is the purpose of this breast cancer trial?
- Why do doctors think the approach may be effective?
- Who is sponsoring this trial?
- Who can participate in this trial?
- What are the eligibility requirements?
- How long will the trial last?
- Can I talk to other people in the trial?
- What are the "results to date"?
- How much time do I have to decide whether to enter this trial?
- What is the long-term follow-up care?
- What happens if I am doing well on the drug? Can I keep using it while the manufacturer seeks FDA approval?
The Trial’s Risks and Benefits
- What are the possible short-term benefits?
- What are the possible long-term benefits?
- What side effects might I experience?
- Are there treatments to alleviate side effects?
- Are there any potential long-term risks?
- How do the potential benefits compare to other treatment options?
- How will the trial and its possible side effects affect my daily life?
- Who will review the information collected during the trial?
The Trial’s Participation Requirements and Care
- Will I be hospitalized? If so, how often and for how long?
- What tests, procedures, and treatments will I have during the trial?
- How do these tests, procedures, and treatments differ from those I would have if I didn't take part in this trial?
- Where will these tests, procedures, and treatments be done?
- Who will do them?
- What will be my responsibilities if I participate?
- Will I still see my own doctor on a regular basis?
- Who will monitor my care and safety?
- What support will be available for my caregivers and me during the trial?
- Will my heath insurance company cover any or all of my costs? If so, how much?
- Will I have to pay for tests or the study drug or anything else? If so, what will the charges be?
- Who can answer questions about what my health insurance will cover?
- Will there be any travel costs that I will be responsible for?
- Will there be childcare costs that I need to consider?
You may also want to review Questions for Doctors.